This is the site of Happy Hollow Playground at Wayne Avenue opposite Logan Street c. 1910, before work began on transforming the old quarry into a recreational site. On both sides of Wayne Avenue were hills of solid rock, with few houses. After a boy drowned in the quarry, its owner, Edward W. Clark, decided to turn it into a playground. His heirs donted the 4-acre tract for Happy Hollow and another at School House Lane and Wissahickon, now known as Clark Park.
CLOSE PAGE